Harry opened it with trembling fingers. Inside was a large, sticky chocolate cake with Happy Birthday Harry written on it in green icing. (Philosopher's UK 40 US 48)
On July 25, 36 Eggs hosted a Harry Potter Birthday Feast to celebrate the Chosen One's upcoming birthday. Only HP fans were allowed -- plus ones were BANNED if they hadn't read the books or at least watched the movies. We asked everyone to bring an HP treat to share, and the guests all stepped up their game. There was a truly staggering amount of food.
- Sausage & steak by Glennis and Thomas -- we are trying to steal Glennis's recipes, because this was some good, good meat.
- Shepherd's pie by Sara C.
- Kreacher's French onion soup with toast by Joe & Shannon. (I am sad I didn't get a photo of this one, I enjoyed it so.)
- Roast parsnips and sprouts by Sarah H.
|I had never eaten a parsnip before. It's like a cross|
between a carrot and a potato.
- Crumpets with jam and marmalade by Ramona
|Look how lovely. I was impressed that Ramona was such a|
grownup that she had bread baskets -- and then she told me she'd
borrowed her mom's. I wonder if I'll someday be an adult
with baskets around the house.
- Pumpkin Pasties (savory and sweet) by Jenn F. and Michael
- Chocolate Frogs by Chelsie
- Harry's first birthday cake by Melissa
- Trifle by Jennifer L.
|Chelsie packed them in hand-decorated boxes|
and even added Chocolate Frog cards! (I got Helga Hufflepuff.)
|We hear she got this trifle dish specifically for this occasion!|
Now, that is commitment.
- Apple pie by Janet
|Do you see Hedwig in the middle?|
- Pumpkin juice by Melissa.
- Gillywater by Howie. The recipe: 2-liter bottle of Korean barley iced tea, 2 limes, a few slices of fresh ginger, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 can grass jelly.
- Heat 1.5 cups water. Add sugar and ginger to make ginger-infused simple syrup.
- Add syrup to iced tea.
- Squeeze juice from 2 limes into tea, and chill.
- Cube grass jelly.
- Serve tea with grass jelly and ice.
|Howie made this recipe up and didn't know |
how it'd turn out. Jenne and I both really liked it!
- Patronus drink by Sarah M.
- Some more British snacks from Sarah M., just for funsies.
Friends and fellow HP fans, we are lucky to know you.